Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Lesson Learned

The other day as I was walking from my car to the local mall I saw a woman loading her shopping items into the trunk of her car. With two young children, she had her hands full. Although one sat patiently in the stroller near the woman as she transferred her items from the grocery cart to her car, the other child, already secured in a car seat, decided to have a screaming tantrum. As I continued my walk toward the mall, I could hear the woman say, perhaps to the benefit of anyone within hearing distance, that she was going to resort to bribing the screamer by rewarding the behavior with some candy, hoping that would address the matter.

Lesson learned: The child just learned that tantrums can have benefits. What the parent didn’t learn is that type of bribing can and will likely escalate to eventual blackmail.

No comments: